Send or receive messages over UDP

Hi Intuiface community!

After getting this question I felt I had to share an updated version of the UDP communication Interface Asset that was available (and yes, a bit hidden…) in this other community thread.

What’s new?

This version enables you to

• Send a message, either in ASCII (string) or in HEX over UDP, using a specified address & port
  • NEW Receive messages over UDP, using a specified port.

What didn’t change: this Interface Asset is still written in .NET thus only available for Composer & Player for Windows.

Links

How it works

The sample should be self-explanatory :slight_smile:
You have 2 actions to send messages (ASCII or HEX) and 1 trigger to receive a message.
If you want to receive messages, don’t forget to call once the “Start listening” method, specifying the port to use.

What can you do with it?

Good question!! and we’d love to know the answer!

You guys have access to some fancy hardware such as DMX / MIDI controllers than be controlled through UDP, so if you make some wow effects installation where an Intuiface XP controls visual / audio effects in an exhibition, please share some pictures or even better videos of your creations!

3 Likes

Hi Seb, great Extension
We use it to control an external step motor controller. The controller give us also via UDP an feedback. But we don’t see the message into intuiface. Now, I’ve analyze the traffic using wireshark and I found out that intuiface sends out the message on a random port. I there a way to set the outgoing UDP Port? The problem is, that the controller sends back the message to the received port, who’s changing on every “conversation”.
Thanx for your support, Bruno from Swiss Museum of Transport

Hi @bruno.arnold,

I checked the code of that custom Interface Asset, then checked Microsoft .NET documentation here.
I don’t see a way to specify the outgoing port but it’s probably doable. I’ll make sure the latest code is made available on Github so you can take a look in there and make these modifications.
It’ll basically be an update of this one (sender only): GitHub - intuiface/UDPSenderInterfaceAsset: Intuiface Interface Asset the enables to send commands over UDP

Seb

1 Like

Thanks Seb for the fast reply! So I’ve to look inside the code.

This is the latest version of the source code you need to look into : GitHub - intuiface/UDPCommunicationIA

1 Like

Hi Seb,

I really appreciate the useful IA. Can you check your GitHub repo: the link “latest released package here” is not working.

Thank you!

Hi @developer,

Thanks for reporting this!
This is fixed and the release zip is now available.

Hi @Seb,

Thank you, I got the file! UDP communication really expands the interactive possibilities with Intuiface!

Yota

1 Like

Hi Seb, we use this IA to communicate with lighting controllers to trigger different DMX presets. I was wondering, is there a similar IA to send and receive messages over TCP?

Hi @equintana1 and welcome to Intuiface community!

We don’t have a TCP IA off-the-shelf unfortunately, but if you have developer skills / a dev team with you, this is something you can create on your own. See the lesson 4.1 of this course: Connecting to the world | Course | Intuiface Academy

Thanks Seb. I will take a look.

@Seb I have a use for this UDP IA but am having problems getting it to work. I have downloaded the latest release from GitHUB and successfully installed it and then set up a simple experience with a button to send a message via the IA. Problem is that I do not see the message sent out when I trigger it. I do see UDP traffic from Intuiface (at least IntuifaceComposer is mentioned in the info column of Wireshark) but don’t see any message that looks like the one I’m trying to send.

I have tested the communication outside of Intuiface with PacketSender and that works fine. I have also found a potential workaround by writing batch files that use netcat to send the UDP command. I can launch those from within Intuiface (actually launching a VBS that calls the batch file so it is silent) and that works but it’s a bit of a pain to have to manage all the various batch and VBS files.

Any idea why this IA wouldn’t be working for me?

thanks
Brad

Hi @emphelp,

Let’s get through a support ticket so it’s easier to communicate and exchange files privately as opposed to our community platform.
I’ll create that ticket for you, watch for your email notifications.

Seb