Snapchat Snap Camera as a webcam

Hi All,

I have been really keen to use Augmented Reality with Intuiface, and the best way would be to utilize the webcam option.

I have installed the Snapchat Camera app on Windows https://snapcamera.snapchat.com/ and it is recognized as an option when i select the webcam, however, the camera won’t show as a feed… it’s blank.

Is there a way that I can debug this?

If I can get this working the possibilities will be incredible!

Hi Ryan,

I tried the snapchat app you mentioned, and it appears that VLC isn’t able to open its camera as a Direct Show feed. See error logs below

30/04/2019 11:24:25 : 40376 : Error : [VLC]open of `dshow://' failed
30/04/2019 11:24:25 : 40376 : Error : [VLC]Your input can't be opened
30/04/2019 11:24:25 : 40376 : Error : [VLC]VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dshow://'. Check the log for details.

We are using VLC engine to display such feeds, so I’m not sure the Intuiface team will be able to help on this topic. You might still want to contact our support team to see if they can investigate a bit more on this topic.

Best regards,

Seb

Hi Seb,

Thanks for the heads-up, that’s great info.

I just downloaded a new version of VLC, and was able to get the Snap Camera to play through that. I’ll do some research, it may just be that the engine doesn’t have certain required libraries that the full VLC player has.

I don’t want to waste the time of the developers as I may be the only one wanting this feature to work, so maybe i’ll ask that it could at least be added to the “possibilities”… I just see opportunities for this, at the Zoo, theme parks, halloween christmas promotions etc…

Thanks again Seb!

2 Likes

We would be very interested in getting this to work!

sorry to reopen this, but, what version of vlc works for u? cause im installed the latest one, and i still have a blank screen, and in the logs say

0/26/2019 12:52:12 PM : 14556 : Error : [VLC]capture device ‘Snap Camera’ does not support required parameters !
10/26/2019 12:52:12 PM : 14556 : Error : [VLC]Capture failed
10/26/2019 12:52:12 PM : 14556 : Error : [VLC]The capture device “Snap Camera” does not support the required parameters.
10/26/2019 12:52:12 PM : 14556 : Error : [VLC]can’t open video device
10/26/2019 12:52:12 PM : 14556 : Error : [VLC]FATAL: could not open ANY device
10/26/2019 12:52:12 PM : 14556 : Error : [VLC]Capture failed
10/26/2019 12:52:12 PM : 14556 : Error : [VLC]VLC cannot open ANY capture device. Check the error log for details.

thanks in advance

Hi @infraestrutura,

Intuiface uses an embedded version of VLC, not the one you have installed on your machine, and it might not be the latest one.
Updating the internal version has a development & test cost and is not currently on our product roadmap.

In the meantime, I recommend you to have a look at AR Photobooth with Intuiface - inspired by "Dallas Cowboys' Pose With The Pros" which could give you some ideas / alternative solutions.

Seb

1 Like

I can see that this post was from 2019. Wondering if anyone has gotten Snap Cam broadcast through another app to get the feed as a Directshow into Intuiface. OR if there’s an alternative application we can use to control the camera and then broadcast to Intuiface. Basically, I’m trying to see if there’s a way to have more controls over the webcam feed rather than just directly tapping into it. Thanks in advance.

Hi Monch,

I just tested the latest version of Snap Cam and for a reason I still don’t understand, it doesn’t work in Intuiface.
Using the Snap Cam feed as a webcam input in OBS, then using the OBS Virtual Camera as an input in Intuiface, it does work, but adds some latency.

There might be some alternative softwares to SnapCap that would work directly in Intuiface, but I can’t recommend any.

2 Likes