Transparent/alpha video

Has anyone (recently) successfully leveraged alpha video?

I’ve tried AVI and quicktime, uncompressed with alpha channels - and while they render the preview frame in composer correctly, when the player is initiated, the alpha channel is opaque/black.

I have tried both VLC and windows media engines and have updated GeForce drivers.

2 Likes

What are you using to render the videos?

1 Like

I’m using Adobe Media Encoder, exporting from AE with alpha. I can reimport the footage into AE or premiere and see the alpha channel is preserved. I have access to windows or Mac for export.

I’ve tested on VLC independently, using both quicktime and AVI containers with no compression, straight (unmatted) color with RGB+alpha at 32-bit. I can’t get a single example to display correctly upon playback in Intuiface: it displays the alpha channel as black. In my exports, the background was intentionally set to blue, to ensure it wasn’t carrying it through.

The sample video file posted in the knowledge base article is missing/404, so I have no basis of something that “works.”

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi @david2,

I fixed the broken link in the help center, so you can download the sample transparent background video here.

Seb

2 Likes

Thank you, Seb. I think I see the gap here. A bit more than a year ago, Adobe stopped offering legacy Quicktime codecs for export. I have been unable to use a modern export method/codec to achieve the file format you’ve attached: quicktime container, PNG codec - this does not exist in OSX anymore, to my knowledge. I have also been unsuccessful using AVI export on windows with alpha channel, codec: uncompressed.

Can you please share an updated export profile from an Adobe product (Premiere, AE or AME) that works with intuiface?

2 Likes

I can’t get it to work as well. Have been exporting every way possible and still nothing works.

Hello everyone! (Longtime lurker, first time poster…)

This was quite a tricky case - I tested dozens of potential render settings combinations to find something that worked. For some reason, Adobe decided to discontinue the codecs necessary to render alpha channels, and there isn’t an alternative codec that functions the same way the legacy PNG codecs did within our software. Unfortunately, this means that Adobe’s Creative Cloud software (AE and AME) is no longer a viable option for exporting transparent video that is compatible with our software (for the time being).

But wait, I still come bearing good news!

Sony Vegas Pro still has the necessary quicktime codec needed for transparency!

Here are the export settings for Vegas Pro 16.0:

1. Import the video
  2. Right click on it > Properties > Media > Alpha Channel: Premultiplied > OK
  3. File > Render As
  4. In the dialog box, choose Quick Time 7 - 512 Kbps Video (Kbps will determine the quality and size)
  5. Click on Customize Template
  6. Select Video Format: PNG / Compressed Depth: 32bppp color > OK
  7. Click on Render

Just a note, this is only possible with .mov files.

I the meantime, we will be looking into finding a more compatible render mode for the more recent Creative Cloud software in the future, and we will be updating our Help Center page to reflect all of this information.

Thank you all so much for your patience and understanding while we tested this issue. We greatly appreciate it. :blush:

Helen

5 Likes

Thanks Helen!

Hi @Helen -

Just checking in on a better way for this - performance is always an issue in Intuiface for alpha video because there is no compression method. We’ve been having great luck using the HAP alpha video format in other projects and installations - it’s open source, and is supported by VLC. Any chance there could be an integration for the product? I think it’d unlock some amazing video performance and potential.

Thanks!
David

Hey David!

This is an awesome suggestion! I will pass this along to the dev team to see if this integration is possible!

Thank you so much!

@Helen
Hi friend! I just found this article, and have only Adobe CC. Any updates on if there’s a way to do this through Adobe, or am I going to have to download a free trial of Vegas Pro?

Thanks!

Megan

Edit: I should add that for now, I’m doing an animated .gif, but the quality leaves something to be desired. (I see jagged edges!! They’re EVERYWHERE.)

(I’m so sorry for the late response!)

As of right now, still no dice when it comes to Adobe products (the version of Premiere that I did my tests on was through Adobe CC). Right now, your best option is still Sony Vegas Pro.

In regards to your gif, have you tried using one with a higher resolution?

That’s fine! I understand when business is crazy. :slight_smile:

Okay, thanks. That’s what I needed to know.

LOL, I was working on 2-3 different projects at the time I wrote this, and all had transparent videos and/or .gifs, so I can’t rightly remember which one I was talking about. But I think I did do a higher resolution with the .gifs. They turned out fine. Not perfect, but fine. I realize that I’m a crazy perfectionist, and none of my clients had any problems with their XPs, so…! It just took a lot of fiddling with export settings to get the end result.

1 Like