Timeline with Excel

Hi everyone,

Is there any resources on populating a timeline with an Excel spreadsheet? I need to display ~200 events across 150 years. I’d prefer not to have to add each event manually! I already have the data in Excel with a row for each event and a Index, Image, Caption and Date columns.

The experience I need to produce is when I click a button with a date on it, the timeline needs to show and centre on the event.

Thanks!

Hi @goran.spuzic,

As you said, you just need to have a date column in your Excel file. When you insert the Excel feed in a timeline collection, just bind the Start date property of your template to this date column.

Thanks Seb, got it going.

1 Like

Hi there
I think, this could be the right place to ask another point concerning “populate a timeline via Excel” … I’d also like to fill a timeline via an Excel-Sheet - and it worked binding the «Start date» … But … I have many Objects that starts on the same date … Is there a way to automaticaly distribute the dates in Y-Position?
Another point for me is how to show the amount of days via a rectangle …
Greez iA, Mike C.

Hi @mike.kunz,

I’d add a Y column in your Excel file and put different values there when you have multiple objects at the same (or close) date.

2 Likes

Hi Seb
Thanks for your quick answer. Well, that works, but I don’t want to modify this excel-file … the file would be generated by a routine every hour … Is it possible to get the actual row/item-number from the excel and then let it multiple with a desired number?

You’d need to have an “Index” column in that Excel, providing the row number. You can then use a value converter to multiply the value.

1 Like

Hi Seb

hmm … ok … what about showing a start- and end-date with a rectangle?

Hi @mike.kunz,

that sounds a bit more complex, since the rectangle width would have to adapt to the timeline zoom level.
If you don’t need to zoom on a timeline, you could build it using a more free-layout collection such as the Scroll Collection.
You can have a look at our Task board sample to get some ideas.

2 Likes

Hi Seb
Thats another nice view, but unfortunately doesn’t match my needs … the rectangle should represant the length of a happening … usually something between 1 and 5 days … maybe a nice update for your timeline … :wink: