Time adjustment between items in a scroll collection?

I’m building a video playlist and very happy about the new autoscroll function in the scroll collections.

But the one thing that I can’t figure out is Ia way to “pad” the time between videos in a scroll collection that is set to autoscroll. I found the little checkbox in the video properties that allows you to override the scroll collection duration and I bound that to an cell in an excell spreadsheet that is about 10 seconds longer than the actual video, but the autoscroll somehow ignores that and immediately moves to the next item at the end of the video. I need to control the amount of time that elapses between scrolled items.

Any ideas?

Hi David,

Before investigating, I have a couple of questions.

What collection type are you using? Asset Grid, Swap, etc?
Is this collection populated by an Excel (or another type of data feed) or is it a plain collection with videos added “by hand”?

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex, thanks for tackling this with me.

I am using a swap collection with a slide transition (don’t know if you need to know the transition, but throwing it out there) and I have it set up with 10 video assets that are each bound to a separate row in a 10 row Excel file:

In my case I want to insert a pause between videos to show a message, but I can imagine it would be useful in other areas where you might want to give the opportunity for some interaction between displayed items – like a vote, for example.

I had hoped that by enabling the override and increasing the duration on the individual items like this:

That I could pad the space between the items, but it doesn’t appear that the autoscroll function for videos is respecting the display duration override. It moves to the next video immediately after the preceeding video ends.

I’ll try to figure out a stop & timer arrangement, but it sure would be nice if that were already in there. Unless I’m doing something wrong. Which is probably the case. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi David,

As you’ve seen it, the override doesn’t apply to videos and only to images.

In order to achieve what you want, you have to do it yourself and not use the autoscroll feature.
You can set this in a very short time with triggers/actions, and chronometer.

First, as you are using an Excel Interface Asset, you want to use it at full power and not put every item in a collection and bind them one by one to a row. Just let the Interface Asset do the job and use the power of a Template. It’s quick, clean, and you won’t have to do bindings, trigger/action for each element. You only do it once for the template.

Your collection will look like this:

Now the mechanics:

• disable autoscroll
  • video property: autoplay ON
  • trigger/action: when video ends, start a Delay chronometer

• trigger/action: when chronometer reach the chosen delay (let’s say 10 seconds), stop and reset it, and move to the next video

I’ve set up a quick sample that demonstrate it.
You will see that I added a second chronometer that display the Video duration for information purpose but you won’t need it. Feel free to dig in.

https://data.intuiface.com/KB-Samples/6.6/Community/Community-AutoscrollVideoDelay.zip
(120Mb because of the videos :stuck_out_tongue: )

Regards

Alex.

2 Likes

Thanks, Alex, for your continued help with this. It is a little disappointing that the override doesn’t work for videos, but your workaround looks like a good
alternative.

I have, in the past, explored that option with using the full power of the excel interface asset, but I found it to be very quirky and unreliable in the context
of automated playlists. Although, I didn’t use the chronometer delay. I will definitely try that out instead of simply delaying the trigger on the timeline.

In my previous experience, using a “next” trigger would frequently skip videos or move to the next prematurely or scroll the asset slightly beyond the borders
of the group. Scroll to an index seemed like it was the only thing that was consistent and reliable so that’s why I ultimately went with individual items bound row by row to the Excel file.

I can try again using your sample. With all the recent upgrades, maybe it will behave better for me. It definitely simplifies things.

Thanks again,

Dave

Hi Alex. Just wanted to do a quick followup. I used your method to successfully build a VERY simple playlist. It worked perfectly until I started to add some complexities. When I added an automatic “full screen” after a few seconds mode it got all confused and started skipping videos or resizing at the wrong times and other peculiar behavior. I think, maybe, that type of playlist is suitable for very simple, contained operations. Ultimately I went back to the previous method and it is rock solid.

thanks,
Dave