Textures 3D models not showing (.obj, .mtl)

I’ve received some 3D files that are used on a website. The files contains 1 .obj file, 1.mtl file and some pictures for the textures. I used a 3D model asset and used the .obj file. After that I dropped the .mtl file in the “Object3D” folder and created in that same “Object3D” folder a “TextureFolder” and placed the images in that folder.

But somehow my texture doesn’t show in the 3D model. Am I doing this wrong or should I edit the .mtl file?

I’ve read in the article about the 3D Model Asset in the knowledge base that textures should be referenced in the .mtl file using a relative path. I’m not really sure I know what that means.

In the current .mtl file I see that the pictures are referenced like this:

newmtl Mat_1_0
ka 0.6314 0.6314 0.6314
kd 0.2706 0.2706 0.2706
ks 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000
e 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000
d 1.0000
map_Kd 41.jpg

Does anybody know how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @ketschi if you haven’t fixed your issue yet I invite you to create a discussion with the support team so they can investigate in detail your issue. You can create a discussion here:http://support.intuilab.com/discussion/new

1 Like

Hi Chloe,

There was already a ticket open and the issue was resolved with the help of Mihai. There was a grey texture covering the model that I needed to remove from the .obj file.

Thank you!

Happy to hear this was resolved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Chloe Just one quick question, in the section “Best practices for textures” in the article about the 3D model Asset it says: [TextureFolder] is a folder you create, referenced with a relative path in your .mtl file. It is in here that you put your texture files. I created a “TextureFolder” folder which contains the images of the textures. The path I should put in my .mtl file is then: /TextureFolder/41.jpg if the name of the file is 41.jpg. Am i correct? Because when I do this the textures don’t show. The textures do show when I just put 41.jpg in my .mtl file and place the pictures in the same folder as the .mtl and .obj file. What is the best way to go here?

We have just identified an issue related to the use of relative paths. We are investigating this issue.

The best practice is to have the texture files at the root of the 3D model (next to the *.mtl file). For portability purposes, you should never use absolute paths to reference the texture files.

1 Like

I will do that! Thank you for your reply!

hello there,

i am having the same issue. the texture file is not loading so all i can see is a purple coloured 3D file in the experience. i have the .mtl file right next to the .obj file in the same folder. is this not the right idea?

Hello @digital,

That is correct but you should only drag the .obj file in to the Composer. The reason why the texture in my 3D file didn’t show was because my .mtl file showed a grey picture (which was in my folder along with the other pictures) on top of my model. Is there a purple picture between your pictures what could cause the issue? Also look into the top line of your .obj file if the .mtl file is referenced correctly.

how do i check if the purple colour is between ? i had these 3D models created by a professional.

You could check in the images that are associated with the .mtl file if there is any purple image which could display the color