Precisely animating elements

Hi all,
I’m very new to Intuiface, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.
I come from a motion/graphic design background, so I’m very particular about these things. From what I can tell, the process of animation in Intuiface goes like this…

1. design your scene
  2. if you want an element animated, alter it so that it is at the start state of the animation. For example, let’s say you want to animate a button’s position so that it starts off screen and ends up on screen.
  3. add a trigger/action
  4. tell that action to animate the button to its end position

To me, this feels sort of reversed. I’d love a way to set up my scene and then tell Intuiface to animate FROM a certain state to its state on the scene, as opposed to the other way around. The issue is that it feels sort of imprecise to have to undo your design work before animating and then sort of guessing to get the position back to where it was intended.

Again, perhaps this has been addressed or maybe I’m missing something. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Another factor to this is that, after animating all your elements, you only see their starting state in the editor. This creates some challenges as well since you can’t see everything in their final states. Perhaps there is a way around this too?

Hi @tlitostansky and welcome to the Intuiface community!

I totally understand where you are coming from and why the animations in Intuiface probably feel different compared to other tools you have used before.
One key thing to remember is that any object (asset or collection) that you can animate in Intuiface was first meant to be manipulated by a user: interactivity is our DNA. (touch, mouse, sensor, …)
Automatic animation of an asset comes second, in a way.

That’s why you have to position the assets in the scene at the starting point of a potential animation or user interaction, because you can’t predict where a user would move / scale / rotate that asset.

That being said, I presented my way of building animations in Intuiface in this webinar section:

You’ll see how I position the items to their destination first, set the animation actions, then move the objects to their starting point.

Let me know if that clarifies a bit our approach here.

Seb

1 Like

Thanks Seb!

This is really helpful. It solves half the issue for me. I totally understand what you are saying about the mentality of Intuiface. I do wish there was an easy way to see everything at its “destination” when viewing a scene in Composer, as opposed to their origin. But I understand that may just be the difference between a motion program and Intuiface.

Thank you for your help!
Tim

1 Like