Port Listener Interface Asset

Hey there,

I would like my experience to be able to receive messages from a webserver.
The server shoud hold a value and send an update to every connected Experience when the value changes. (In case you are wondering… yes I am trying to copy the behaviour of Intuiface’s integrated WebTriggers Interface Asset - I am worried about the Web Triggers not being quick enough and that someone might not have access to the internet).
In order for this to work the player needs to listen for incoming connections on a specific port.
And to make matters worse I would like to do this on non-windows players… so it would have to be in js.
Has anybody already done this? Is there something I could use as a starting point?
Any ideas on how to do this?

Hi @maximilian.berthold,

I’m a bit confused by your request here since you wrote:

• " I am worried about the Web Triggers not being quick enough and that someone might not have access to the internet"
  • " the player needs to listen for incoming connections"

If the player is listening to incoming connections, I guess they are coming from “outside”, so from Internet, right?
I don’t see solution different from what is being done with Web Triggers you are expecting. Moreover, Web Triggers are already working on all our supported platforms.

Regarding your worries about speed, I guess you made some tests with the existing Web Triggers. Can you tell us more about the usage scenario / messages frequency and the latency you measured between the moment you call the Web Triggers API and the message is actually received in your experience?

Thanks

Seb

hi Seb,

the message would nee to come from outside the player itsself but it could be on the local network.
that would allow us to set the whole system up as in isolated system that does not need access to the internet.

Regarding speed I did not make any real measurements. What I did was I made an XP that would poke the API and also listen to the webtrigger. And the time between sending the request and seeing the response on the XP was in the realm of two seconds.
Which is a bit long for my liking.

Regards,

Max