Macbook Pro or Air and Intuiface

Every five years or more, I buy a new laptop when I have the means to do so. I usually go for XPS from Dell. I usually get good specs, including the i7 processor and 16 GB RAM.

This time I am thinking of getting the Macbook Pro with either the M1 or M2 chip. For content development, there is no better notebook on Windows. Unfortunately, Intuiface does not run on the Mac OS. So the next best thing is to run Windows under emulation and then Install Intuiface. So my question is, has anyone done that with the Mac running M1 or M2 chip, and if so, how is the performance?

Thank you.

hi @ahmed,

I don’t know about M1/M2 chips, but I do know our product manager has been running Intuiface on Mac Book Pros for the last 10 years, suing Parallels.
If I’m correct, @tosolini is running on a Mac book too, just not sure which gen.
These new chips change the architecture and I don’t know how well Parallels / Win32 apps run there. I’ll ask our team.

Hi @ahmed, I’m using an Intel generation MacBook Pro and running Windows on Bootcamp. Very happy about it, but I know that Bootcamp will not be supported in the latest M1/M2 Macs. It looks like the solution is Parallels of VMWare, which I haven’t tried myself.

I agree with Paolo, the new M1 chips do not support Bootcamp (the free windows alternative on Mac), so the only current option is using Parallels/ VMWare, from reviews, it seems windows doesnt perform as well on Parallels on the M1 compared to Bootcamp.

Thank you all for chiming in. That is a bummer. The Macbook Pro performance is amazing for other content creation. Final consideration will be the new MSI Creator z16. I have yet to see a review of it.

Ha… a bummer indeed, as I was eyeing the MacMini M1, but let it go due to Windows hiccups.

In the US, a MacMini M1 with 16GB of RAM / 256GB SSD is $899.

For $616 (Amazon), you can get an Intel NUC i7-10710U with 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD, which is actually my current workstation. Yes, the 10th gen i7 is a bit less powerful than an M1, but it’s plenty, and you know how much time I spend in Composer a day :slight_smile:

For laptops, I’ve been using Dell XPS for the last 15 years and I’ve always been happy with them.
Asus Zenbook series, or even their new ProArt Studiobook with an Intel i9-12900H would be nice work beast too.

The XPS is what i have. It is the 6th generation i7 Intel. But i find myself doing some other content using Premiere and After Effects. It is very slow.

Anyway, it does look that Windows on the Macbook won’t allow you to run certain Windows applications such as Resolve or even Adobe software. Based on this conclusion, i assume it won’t run Composer.

What i find it interesting is that other Windows Apps that can run, run faster on a Macbook Air M2 running Parallel Windows emulater than a 12th generation xps 13 as mentioned in this video.

1 Like