Leap Motion and Intuiface

Hi

I know support has finished for Leap Motion but I have a quick question.

I’ve moved the Leap Motion assets to the correct file structure etc have installed the Leap Motion software (without Composer running).

When I come to add an interface asset, I can see all of the gestures but it says In order to use these interfaces you need to install the specified software which states “Requires the installation of Leap Motion Software”

I’ve reinstalled this, rebooted etc but I’m still getting this message.

Has anyone else had this and was able to get round it?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom @scruffyHipster,

I haven’t used Leap Motion in years but I would assume that their software has changed and isn’t recognized anymore by the old-not-supported-anymore Interface Asset.
The only solution would be to go in the open-source code we provided and fix this / adapt it to the latest versions of Leap Motion.

Seb

I was able to make Leap Motion (LM) work with Intuiface, without using the original IA. Here are the steps (admittedly not that simple):

• Connect the LM device to the PC
  • Download the Leap Motion v2 (Legacy Desktop Apps) software
  • Install the v2 software. The device will not be recognized right away, especially if you have a Win10 PC. You’ll need to apply a special patch that is described in this detailed post
  • Once the patch is done, you should test if the LM is being detected. Head to the system tray on the lower right side of the Windows Taskbar, and check if the little icon of the LM controller is green. You can also launch the Visualizer app that will show your fingers in computer graphics

Assuming that everything works, now we need to install the ‘middleware’ between Intuiface and LM. This is an alternative option to the original LM IA (now long retired).

• Download and install the AeroTouch app. This is a third party app that will convert LM gestures to specific Windows events, including simulating the pressure of specific keys
  • Configure AeroTouch to convert (for example) the Clockwise Circle gesture as the action of pressing the Right arrow key. Then the Anticlockwise Circle gesture to the left arrow key. Of course, experiment with whatever gestures you prefer.

The final step is about setting Intuiface to listen to specific keyboard events, and act upon them. This is done with a simple trigger and action, e.g.

And that’s it. A bit of a setup, but AeroTouch should give you some freedom in choosing the gestures that best fit your needs. As @Seb already expressed, LM may not be the most intuitive way to go touch-free, but it’s worth exploring.

4 Likes

Thanks Paolo @tosolini for the detailed walkthrough. @Mihai will be happy to set this on his side with the Leap Motion device he has.

On my side, I’ll say “stay tuned” on what’s next between Intuiface & UltraLeap :wink:

BTW Paolo @tosolini, any chance you have recorded a short video of your experiment that you could share with us here?

Here is a video of the Leap Motion + Intuiface experiment in action:

4 Likes