In Search of ID reader

We’re trying to find a solution for intuiface where as a person can hold their drivers license under a scanner and transfer data to intuiface to partially complete a form. Are there any known third parties that might integrate?

Hey @programmers Chuck,

Maybe this could be of use to you? Free OCR API

I haven’t tested this personally but give me a shout if you get any further

Kind Regards

Louie

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks @Promultis! We’re doing research now to find the best hardware solution and will probably start on this feature in another month or two.

2 Likes

Anybody have good divers license scanning hardware recommendations which would seamlessly connect to a free standing kiosk?

Hi Chuck @programmers,

I don’t have a specific reader to recommend, but I do have a question for you: what kind of information are you looking to get out of a driver’s license? The question/research might be more about the SDK / API behind the reader than the reader itself, no?

Just basic information to complete a signup form. Name, address, license number, expiration so as long as the reader has a windows SDK we should be golden.

Just from a quick research, I can’t find anything that stands out as “the device to use” for your use case.
Although, I found a lot of “OCR APIs” with driver’s license (DL) feature, but none open source / free to use (again, a quick research only).

This one seems to have 500 “pages” per month for free, so I would give it a try. Whether you run it locally on the same Windows machine or host it as a web service is up to you: Node.js Driver's License OCR

I would probably give a try to the following workflow

• use the Webcam Asset to take a screenshot of the driving license
  • either pass the filepath to your local instance of that AI processor, or upload it to the cloud (using this, for ex), then pass the online URL as a parameter to the hosted web services
  • Retrieve the DL content as JSON and use to pre-fill your text inputs.

Just keep in mind to whom / where you are sending this DL private data :slight_smile:

1 Like