How can you update fields in AirTable using API Explorer

I’d like to use AirTable as a true distributed DB for an experience I am building. I have no problem connecting to my AirTable DB, however, I still cannot figure out how to update fields in My AirTable based on user interaction. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I apologize if this has already been answered, I’m pretty new to AirTable, however I have a ton of web programming experience.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Shawn

I might be wrong here, but I don’t think thats possible yet. With the API Explorer you can only pull data, or push new data. As far as I know you cant update yet.

It’s true you can’t update Airtable data yet with REST Interface Assets and the API Explorer. We only support GET and POST HTTP verbs at the moment, which are the most used in the world of APIs.
Airtable is using the PATCH verb to update records, which is the reason why it’s not available yet directly with IntuiFace.

Meanwhile, there’s a workaround :slight_smile:

I created an IFTTT recipe using their webhooks mechanism

• When my IFTTT account receives an airtableUpdate event
  • Then make the following web request
    • URL: https://api.airtable.com/v0/appxOpgQU2xcnp4HE/Restaurant%20Menu%20ScreenSaver/{{Value1}}?api_key=MY_KEY
    • Method: PATCH :slight_smile:
    • Content Type: application/json
    • Body: { "fields": { "Name": " {{Value2}}" } }

Then, from my IntuiFace app, I can just call a POST request to my IFTTT account like:

Tell me if that would help you for now.

Some snapshots below:

IFTTT Trigger:

IFTTT Action:

To test IFTTT webhook before calling it from IntuiFace.

3 Likes

Update about this post: API Explorer is no longer restricted to GET and POST HTTP verbs and you can update fields in Airtable directly using a PATCH verb.

See additional paragraphs in our Work with Airtable article:

1 Like