Easiest way to set up intuiface on Windows

What is the easiest way of setting up Intuiface in a kiosk situation? We keep running into issues with the various ways described, having to deal with various Windows versions and iterations with their specific limitations.

1. I’d like to hear about your favourite, most reliable way.

2. Is there a proven kiosk app out there that just works instead of having to deal with cumbersome Windows 10 set-up?

Usually working with Win 10 now, Home and Enterprise
Thanks!

Hi Hazel, usually intuiface on windows is the simplest to setup, Windows 10 is perfect as I use it without any hassles.

You just download the 64bit player/ composer version, run the installer and you’re good to go. If you’re using player, once the install is complete, and you start it, it will ask for a license key, just copy/ paste it into the box and you’re done.

As far as the Windows compatible OSes are concerned, you fine using anything above windows 8.1 (as with you can add more RAM to boost your computers performance). You will definitely need good RAM for Intuiface run smoothly. Windows 7 has a limitation of not being able to add more than 4GB of RAM

Hope this makes sense, if you need any more help. please reach out, someone here will surely be happy to help you.

Thanks Melvyn,
no problems with the basic installation, sorry, I should have been more precise and descriptive. The question is more about a long-term stable installation that takes care of all necessary adjustments to make it a public proof touch screen presentation, speaking of

1. cursor hiding
  2. auto-start on power outage
  3. disabling swipe action to activate right-side menu
  4. restart without showing the Windows start-up screens, but loading the experience right away
  5. timing shut-down or sleep, restarting/waking up on given times
  6. suppressing update and other messages
  7. locking into kiosk mode (so user can’t get out of the experience)

We are working with white label players.

Hi Hazel,

So hopefully i can help you:

1. The cursor is not shown in player if you are using a touchscreen.
  2. You can start RTC on the machine this can be set within the bios, for example come on at a certain time.
  3. To disable the swipe gestures in windows 10 you need to disable the GPC/ Windows Group Policies or a reg edit.
  4. This is abit tricky but assuming you have install Windows in UEFI mode, you should be able to replace the startup image in the bios or alternatively create a custom windows logon/boot logo.
  5. This can be achieved by task scheduler to shut the machine down at a certain time/ same with the wakeup this will need to be done inside the bios.
    6.Turning off windows updates is quiet simple you would need to press Windows Key + R (Run dialog box should appear. Then type services.msc, scroll down to windows update and disable that service.
    7.If you do the swipe gesture lock the user will not be able to get into windows unless a keyboard is plugged in. Alternatively you could create a locked user with on access to certain privileges with also a task bar removal via the explorer.exe should help you.

Although the questions you have asked are outside of Intuiface a quick “Google” would help you find the answer.

Regards

Louie

Hi Hazel,

Louie has tackled most of your queries, and like he said, your concerns are mostly out of intuiface, which means unless you’ve got good technical knowledge, you should not play with the Windows OS settings.

Intuiface does have an article that shows you how to setup a computer in kiosk mode, this is fairly simple to understand and you should not have a problem following it, here is the article -

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Hi again, we have a challenge to set up a publicly accessible experience on a Windows 10 home system. It worked fine to set it up in general for auto login. However during start-up, before Intuiface is up and taking over, there is a 5-10 sec gap when Windows shows up with program tiles and taskbar. So people could mess around with it during the daily start up. How can we avoid that?

Thanks

Hi Hazel, to setup the system, you will need to follow the steps in the earlier link I pasted above (ref to Windows 10) section.

I came across a video that may help you out - How to Make a Windows 10 PC into Kiosk Mode With Assigned Access - YouTube

Regards,
Melvyn

1 Like

We like to use Sitekiosk (Get the No.1 Kiosk Software | SiteKiosk™) it’s an easy install, and we have a config file prepared that just loads in. It’s much less hassle than doing everything manual, and has been very reliable for us.

2 Likes

I second this! :ok_hand: