Dynamic Text Field Height

Hey all,

We’re building an experience that populates a lot of content from a spreadsheet. One of those pieces of content is a long form biography text. The text field sits inside of a vertical scroll container. Problem is we have to set the height of the text box large enough to accommodate the longest bio, but when you load a short biography the vertical scroll ends up being excessively long. Ideally, we would like to use scripting to dynamically set text field height and vertical position based on character count. I’ve been experimenting, but would love to hear from someone who’s either done this before or has a good idea as to the best way to go about it. Thanks!

Too%20Short%202|655x307

Hi @brian1, and welcome to the Intuiface Community! We’re glad you’re here!

I had a similar problem a little bit ago, this thread may have some answers for you:

1 Like

Hi @brian1 and welcome to Intuiface community.

The thread @megan referenced is indeed the best answer to your question.

Another answer will be a future “soon to be released” that will make your life (and mine!) way easier when it comes to handle variable length texts. Stay tuned :wink:

Seb

1 Like

REALLY (re: the new feature)?? WHOOP! :tada::tada:

Thanks for the quick responses. Unfortunately when I tried the formula in Excel, I received this error:

@brian1,

Replace the ; with , in the formula:

=(LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(10),"")))*40+40

The joy of French Excel vs English Excel, probably :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh geez! I never even thought of there being a difference between French vs. English Excel… :thinking:

2 Likes

:joy_cat:https://www.excel-function-translation.com/index.php?page=english-french.html

2 Likes

@bomee.lafitte WOW! That’s crazy! Merci pour l’information! :wink:

The best one for me is IMSQRT = COMPLEXE.RACINE :rofl::joy: I mean how do you get to that translation???

Parler français est difficile si vous ne savez pas comment … :uk: :wink:

2 Likes

@Promultis

Quelle horreur! :rofl:

1 Like

USA uses mph, lbs, inches and all those non-metric units while the rest of the world is “logic”.

France (and others) uses comma (,) in decimals instead of dots, and that can be quite a nightmare for some developers…

2 Likes

Yeah, we Americans are a “special” (read: weird!) unicorn, that’s for sure!

Time to get with the program and go metric, although I’ll be VERY confused for a loooong time.

Allors, tout le monde parle Français maintenant?:hot_face:

2 Likes

LOL- Ehhh… mais non? Je suis un Americain stupide qui parle un peine une duexieme langue. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@megan
You can’t be stupid if you are using Intuiface :wink:

3 Likes

LOL! Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Seb

The mentioned thread is still the best answer to this issue at the moment?

Thanks

Hi @mdias,

I’d say yes and no to your question :slight_smile:

• Yes: it’s the best solution to have a dynamic text field size, depending on text length
  • No: There’s now a better solution for a fixed text field size, to adapt the text font size and automatically add scroll bars for example. See this article section
1 Like

@Seb thanks

I was trying to find a way to positioning items vertically where items have different(and could be dynamic) height and group it to use it in a scroll as a layout collection.

Tried to use asset grid, but all items have the same dimensions, is there a way to do it without a lot of workarounds?

Thanks