Best GPU/CPU for Composer on Laptop/Mobile Work Station

Hey Intuiface Staff & fellow designers,

As hardware performance and graphics technology changes rapidly throughout the year, I was curious if anyone has any recommendations on the best type of GPU/CPU for maximum COMPOSER performance.

GPU - Commercial or Gaming?
Is it better to go with a commercial grade GPU like an Nvidia Quadro, more suited for things like CAD design or rendering?
Or is it better to go with a gaming-GPU like an Nvideo GeForce model?

CPU - i7 Intel? Xeon? AMD Ryzen?

I’ve read a fair amount about all of these models, and personally I have a Xeon in my laptop workstation. It has worked great over the past couple years. But the thing about Intuiface is that it’s not really video editing/rendering, or gaming, nor is it CAD design.

So I’m curious what are the best features or architecture of a GPU/CPU to look for when it comes to Designing in Composer. Thanks very much for any recommendations!

1 Like

Hey Alex,

I have tested this on my machine.

I7 4790K @ 5.1Ghz
2400Mhz DDR3
512GB SSD M.2
x3 GTX 770’s Three way SLI flashed to 780 bios

Or Other Machines

I7 8700K
2400Mhz DDR4
512GB SSD M.2
GTX 1080 Ti

There is little difference between having a overkill and a top spec machine from my experience, i suppose when editing massive composer files it will slowly depend on more resources.

If you look at some of my previous posts we have used the player on x2 E5-2699 V3 and x3 QUADRO P6000 and 64GB RAM x9 screens at 1080p per screen.

We have ran composer on ridiculous machines before and seen little difference.

Kind Regards

Louie

2 Likes

Thanks @Promultis, I was hoping you’d chime in since you have a pretty solid handle on hardware specs and testing.

I had to change the title a bit though, I guess I should have specified that I’m examining mobile work stations (laptops). I like to travel and design in different places, so I’m always trying to balance brute power with weight and size.

The thing I’m always curious about is whether the Xeons and the Quadro’s provide better design performance for the money, or if you basically get the same quality from mobile gaming pc’s using i7’s and GTX

Hi guys,

Just to share the setup I’m using every single day, with 1 or 2 Composers opened on a 3 screen setup (laptop + dock with 2 external screens). I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 with an i7 7700HQ / 16GB RAM / SSD / NVidia GTX 1050.

It can be a bit slow on “huge experiences” I’m diagnosing sometimes = lots of scenes / enormous numbers of triggers in a scene.
It runs totally well on the projects I’m creating / updating = small number of scenes, lots of Interface Assets / Data Templates, “optimized architecture” :slight_smile:

It has a super battery life, a nice 4K touchscreen and a lightweight slim design. I’m usually not a super fan of Dell, but this one rocks :wink:

(no comment about the mess on the desk please)

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing Seb, glad that works well for ya. The 7700’s hyperthreaded seemed to be pretty good.

I know what you mean with the big xp’s, I’m sure you’ve noticed I try to build everything in one scene :slight_smile:

I’m curious about the best architecture of the CPU’s / GPU’s for IF performance. For example, a similar Xeon equivalent to the 7700HQ is the model E3-1505m, which is what I’ve got.

What I gather is that the architecture of the cpu may not matter that much, but best things to look for are of course higher # of cores and multi-threading (aka hyper threading). Multi-core benchmarks would seem to be the best indicator of what works best with Composer; given that there’s many simultaneous actions performed in tandem. Xeons are more expensive, but can provide alternate benefits such as the use of ECM memory, higher cache, and some peace of mind that these server cpus are robustly built for servers. It all comes with a price though, and whether it’s worth the cost for IF design still seems to be a little gray.

As for GPU, I’m still not exactly sure which architecture is best - commercial or consumer models. I personally haven’t seen much of a difference with consumer/commercial GPU’s in regards to Previewing through Composer. But I’m pretty sure that each architecture handles the load differently, so I’m still curious as to which is more ‘fitted’ for IF Composer.

@Seb “A Messy Desk Is a Sign of Genius, According to Science”
are you a genius Seb? :open_mouth:

3 Likes