Barcodescanner for Productscanning

Hi,
I’m currently working on an experience, where I want to scan products with a barcode scanner. When the product is scanned the intuiface player should show more infos on the product.
Is there any solution (except the serial IA from https://support.intuiface.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007433851-Communicate-with-devices-through-a-serial-port , because this often kills intuiface)

I was thinking about

• a barcode scanner that calls a URL (like RestAPI) or
  • a programm that calls a url on localhost when a product is scanned or
  • a barcodescanner that works natively with intuiface

Would be happy about useful inputs :slight_smile: thx

Hello, I had the same request from a client.
Did you have any success on barcode reading?
Thank you
Andrea

Hi Andrea, I’m still looking for a solution :frowning:

Hi @sandro.kollreider & @andrea,

As discussed in other topics, I have a solution that I can share with you if you are using a Zebra / Motorola DS457 scanner. It involves a customer Interface Asset I developped in C# using Zebra SDK.

If you are using another reader, it can either

• behave as a keyboard input. You can then use a Text Input asset to retrieve the code scanned
  • send information through a serial port. You can then use the sample available here.
  • requires the usage of a specific SDK, as the Zebra DS457. You’ll then need to create your own Interface Asset.

I hope this clarifies the possibilities.

Seb

Thx for your reply

• Keyboard input doesn’t work as wanted (we want to scan the code in any scene, after scanning intuiface should navigate to a detailled product page)
  • serial port example crashes intuiface --> no solution for productional rollout
  • programming an own Interface Asset (maybe for every used model of a barcode scanner) is in my eyes no option for us

we are currently testing a workaround (a second with more work is also discussed), if successful, it is possible that we will share this here

You could have the Text Input in an experience layer, enabling to scan whatever scene you are in.

Serial Port: shouldn’t, I have used it myself again a few weeks ago. If it does, this is something that could be investigated. You should send the project where you tried it to our support team.

Thanks for sharing the outcome of your tests.

Seb

@Seb & @andrea
I’m currently writing a documentation for the barcode reader with an example experience.

@Seb should i post it under this post or should i open a new entry at “Best practices & Tips&Tricks”?

Hi @sandro.kollreider,

Posting a clean thread on Best Practices is indeed a good idea. Thanks!

Hi Sandro, thanks for your update. I’m interested in your workaround.
Andrea

@andrea @Seb
Documentation of my workaround is now in Best practices

Hello @Seb
I’d really like to know if you all have worked out that Crestron Smart Home integration with Intuiface yet so that a client can control experiences on multiple displays in their home and other locations from their iPad using their Crestron dashboard which is on their iPad. Some displays will be touch and some won’t. Since each player requires a license, I’ll just have to get the Ultimate analytics plan that allows for unlimited players. Can you please tell me what has to be done to make this possible and if we can pay you all for a custom job to get this done and also how long it could take because our client really wants this capability. I saw a similar project request to this posted in another discussion that you were in. We really need this and are prepared for the expenses. Just tell me the next steps so that we can get this going. I’m sure I’ll have to get you in contact with our connection at Crestron for our city. My email is tcarrcreative@gmail.com. Thank you very much.

Hi Trent @tcarrcreative

First, just to clarify, the Analytics Ultimate will enable you to track data from all your players, but you still need to have 1 player license per device to run the experience.
Regarding Crestron, I didn’t have much news from the user who contacted me on this matter. See this thread. As I don’t have access to a Crestron system, it’s difficult to test the integration.
In his case, the API was pretty simple and accessible through Web Sockets. I can provide a generic Interface Asset that enables to send commands via Web Socket to a Crestron Controller.

If the “Crestron Smart Home” integration is something different, you should contact us and give us more details on your project.

Seb

Awesome, thanks for the fast response. Do you have a direct email that I can contact you at?