Any Expert did such very large display configuration before? Need Help!

i have an upcoming job that uses 8x HD sceen. at 4x2 display from a single output.
So do i set my intuiface composer - project setting - custom at. (1920x4 = 7680) by (1080x2 = 2160) = 7680x2160.
will this cause massive lack? should i halve the resolution?
Any hardware requirements for such set-up?

Hi @artease5,

I experimented such a resolution for one of our customer during a training in a big conference room. I was actually running Composer on my Surface Pro 3 with a 9600 x 3240 resolution project. The project was quite simple, just a test to validate the hardware / multi screen management. It was working well in Composer. I guess as soon as you are adding media in such a scene, you need to have a real “designer” machine (8Gb RAM, dedicated graphic card, …)

Regarding the Player side, they were using a workstation to handle the 15 HD screens. I know there were Xeon processors and 16Gb of RAM but don’t know about the GPU.
BTW, 4GB of RAM are way enough for a Player machine.

If anyone has such experience to share with us, we’d be glad to hear about your HW configuration

I haven’t done a whole lot of video walls - but if I were you, I would max out the computer specs just to be safe and future proof the display. Even if it’s overkill to begin with, you have more capacity if the client decides to redesign and add more features.

Hopefully you have a chance to test with the 8 displays before installation - in that case, I agree with Seb. Run something simple to get things working before committing all your time creating an fully designed XP. Make sure it works, and keep testing as you add more functionality. That way, if you need to restart and create a lower res, you didn’t burn all your time up.

I’ve quoted out several touch-video walls though - so I would love to hear back from you on how you handle the touch connectivity. Do you run all USB cables into a USB hub, then plug that into the computer? Or does each USB from the touch screen go directly into your computer? Do you need special drivers to run 8 screens? I’d love to get insight on these questions and learn from your experiences as well.

Good luck!

According to an experience return from a customer:

“Do not use matrox graphic cards. They may be good at displaying several videos on several screens, but there support of openGL / directX is too limited to run properly IntuiFace experiences”

Christophe

Once Matrox bring out the new version of cards it will support Full Direct X and Open GL

Thanks everyone for your valuable input!
As i’m still doing my own research before committing to it.
Will post the Hardware & my resolution setup hopefully with some images / videos if the project takes place.

2 Likes

The hardware on site is using a coolux system with 2 output to a 4x2 screen,
using Airscan for interactivity.
The coolux system was set up for other purposes.

due to 2 output format, i maybe not be able to develop further using intuiface.
If not matrox then any other multiple output graphic card to recommend?

Now i’m caught with either changing the whole hardware set-up or shifting my content into coolux.

6x4 18 Screens
47"
11520x4320 Resolution

x2 Intel Xeon E5-2699 v3
S400 Sync Card
x3 AMD Firepro W9100
1500w EVGA PSU

Sorted.

2 Likes

I’ve done similar video wall projects also, and agree the x3 AMD Firepro W9100 is a great family of video cards to use. Have had good success with these. Obviously get the fastest PC you can with the fastest SSD drives for best performance…

@Promultis and @art

About your intuiface projects running on your large walls, based on 3xW9100 firepro… Did you use eyefinity on these walls? and what was the video performance?

Christophe

@christophe

Yes we did use Eyefinity but you need to make sure you have the sync card otherwise the display will not be outputted as one desktop.- Could be a performance factor.

The performance we could give you a better idea soon.

I will keep you updated.

Hope this helps.

Louie

@christophe Performance was acceptable, but video encoding and size/frame rate is the key for optimal playback. I find that the CPU/RAM and SSD drive are a bigger difference maker then the GPU in this scenario.

Thanks to both @art and @Promultis for your answers.

@art do you remember the frame size you were able to play with acceptable performance? Were you able to play 4K videos for example?

Christophe

It was a while ago, but if I recall correctly our overall resolution was 5760x2160 and were not able to play videos as full screen backgrounds at that resolution. We ended up using videos encoded at 1/2 the resolution and letting the software stretch it. (2880x1080). Mind you, this was 2 years ago. Im sure with today’s encoding capabilities and video formats, full scale might be possible.

@christophe

If it helps our overall resolution is 11520x4320 we will try a 4K video for you guys and let you know.

Kind Regards

Louie

1 Like

Mike, can this configuration you listed play videos “full screen” (accross the whole array) without stutter?

I’ve been after good performance accross large video walls as well. Just posted 2 stress tests in this thread if anyone is interested-

I will keep you updated and will let you know.