Add "Hide-At" Action

There is a “Show-At” action in the list, which I often find very useful. It allows you to fade-in an asset at a target location. It can be helpful when keeping menus off the viewable canvas, and fading them IN to view.

However, there is no “Hide-At”. It would be nice to fade those menus OUT back to their original location.

For other experts reading this post: I know you can accomplish this with two actions: ‘move’ and ‘hide’, and it’s not a big deal. Nor is this a high priority. But since there is already a Show-At action, it’d be nice to have a Hide-At to put on the road map somewhere.

• Yes, Hide-At would be nice
  • Nah, don’t need it

0 voters

I’m not sure I understand you here Alex.

The current Show at action will instantly move a hidden object, whatever its position, to the new X&Y location, before doing the fade in.
It’s indeed a shortcut to

• move to, without animation
  • show

Can you detail how a “hide at” would behave? Typically, you want the object to fade out in its current position, without moving it. When completely hidden, you might want to leave it to its place, not annoying, since hidden, but you don’t have to.

I have the impression your version of the hide at would be more a “fade + move” at the same time, which is not what the “show at” is doing today.

Hey Seb, I would want it to do the exact opposite of Show At location. So it would Fade out at it’s current location, then the hidden group would move to a location I desire.

I like to put menus off the canvas, hidden, so they are not taking up much memory. And I often use toggles to pull one menu in and move a menu out simultaneously. I like to have variation in the way the menus come in and out…because it looks nicer, but also to vary timing to reduce CPU/GPU power.

For example, let’s say I have two groups sitting outside the canvas. I’d like to make menu1 enter with movement and fading…so it softly ‘slides’ into view. Then when menu2 is triggered to enter it slides into view, then menu1 will Hide-At a location…meaning, it will fade out at it’s current position at a quick rate, and move while hidden back to the starting position…ready to slide in again if needed. So the effect is the new menu softly slides into view, while the current menu gently fades out.

Currently you cannot do this without adding a couple extra triggers, so the Hide-At location is just a way of reducing triggers.

What I’ve learned about using Intuiface is that you need to be always conscious of the cpu/gpu load. Especially when you design in a single-scene. As long as something is in motion, it’s going to use cpu/gpu power. But often when two things need to happen at once…such as two large groups moving in/out at the same time, you can reduce the load a little of the exit animation, to allow a better transition for the entrance animation.

This is why I’m so big on some updates to API explorer…calling data can be a very heavy load, and it also can be costly. It’s better to only do it when you need to. Having more control over this will allow the whole XP to function better, and save designers money on their data plans; but I’m getting off topic lol. The point is efficiency.