Question regarding off-screen items versus hidden items

Do hidden items take up less resources (for IF when running a scene) than off-screen items do? Should I hide off-screen items when not in use, even if they are set to move horizontally into the on-screen area? I want to ensure I am conserving resources for IF whenever possible.

Hi Cullen,

Do hidden items take up less resources (for IF when running a scene) than off-screen items do?
Yes, since they are not visually loaded. Note a hidden item is not the same as a visible item with an opacity of 0.

Should I hide off-screen items when not in use, even if they are set to move horizontally into the on-screen area?

It depends on the items. Having them hidden will make the scene load faster, but then you might need to add a slight delay between the moment you’ll show them and the moment you’ll move them into the scene, so they have time to load.

The way I do things like that: I keep items visible off-screen, so that the animation is smooth when I make them enter the scene. That’s particularly true when I use this “placeholder pattern” (and I use it often!)
I might hide a sub-part of the off-screen group if it contains a resource consuming asset, such as a Web Browser.

Seb

3 Likes